Thursday, November 29, 2018

How Does My Organization Reflect its Values?

November 28, 2018




I work for the Department of Defense (DoD) as a civilian safety officer working installation level radiation and explosive safety for Fort Rucker, Alabama.  My work experience for the past 28 years were with the Army and with the U.S. Customs Service (prior to merging with Homeland Security).  As a young man, I also spent 11 years working in a unionized grocery store chain based in Flint, Michigan.


My thoughts for this writing are to show how my organization portrays its values.  I will attempt to show both good and bad examples from my past work history.  The two links listed below are two short videos on organizational ethics.  I thought that both videos had a powerful message to share about ethical behavior within organizations.


The first video talked about ethical intelligence and the framework necessary for that to be built in an organization.  The top three points the speaker made when comparing a slippage of ethical values down a slippery slope of small sins/transgressions that ultimately led to felonies.  Criticism is about bringing out the best in other people.  Too often in our society we think of criticism as a negative and are unable to accept it in order to improve.  Every man is right in his own eyes.  The speaker urges those in leadership positions to harness their anger and direct it towards positive improvement.  Conversely, only a secure leader is able to apologize sincerely for making a mistake and taking action so that it never happens again.  A good leader also is able to show appreciation to those who are in need of it.  These three traits exhibit more than just strictly ethical intelligence.  I believe it also is part of emotional intelligence (EI).  It appears that it is necessary to have both of these characteristics in order to be an effective leader.


One example I can give you of a secure leader was when I worked for U.S. Customs.  A new set of agency regulations were published on how to handle seized property.  Seized property for U.S. Customs could be drugs, cash, weapons, vehicles, or real estate.  As my supervisor conducted a meeting, fine tuning the procedures, I spoke up and suggested a course of action that would eliminate duplication of work, greater efficiency in storing seized property, and greater accountability for sensitive items.  He paused and then looked directly at me and said, “That’s a good idea and that is what we are going to do”.  A less secure leader would have discounted the idea because it was not his.  I found that to be an example of good leadership and ethical behavior. 


In the second video, the speaker made the statement that had been spoken to him a long time ago: “You have made a terrible mistake, but you are not a mistake”.  Wow.  How many leaders can harness their anger at a mistake and still support his subordinate?  I have a less pleasant example to share when I was a young cashier at a unionized grocery store chain.  The cashiers on our shifts would typically take in $5,000.00 of cash, checks, food stamps, and food vouchers.  The supervisor I worked for was widely known to be hard-nosed to the point of being feared almost universally by his employees.  He was tall, with dark hair, penetrating dark eyes, and an intimidating beard.  His very appearance was ominous.  Our cashier tills were required to be within a dollar of balance when closed out.  It was an extremely difficult standard due to a number of circumstances.  Food stamps stuck together.  People would buy small items and give large bills to cash.  Payroll checks were accepted.  In other words, it was tough.  After three times of being off more than a dollar (but never more than two dollars), I was fired.  The supervisor berated me and told me that I was worthless, I never should have been hired, and that he was glad to get rid of me.  Okay.  Was I lazy?  No.  Was I a top performer?  Maybe.  I was always near or at the top of monetary intake for the cashier tills.  Was I intimidated?  Absolutely.  I was terrified of this man.  I couldn’t stand it when he would stare at me while I was working.  He made me nervous.  The man didn’t seem to have an iota of joy in his life.  He never smiled.


Bottom line, he was NOT a good supervisor.  He had neither ethical intelligence nor emotional intelligence.  He even lied to the company about the procedural violations that I was being terminated for.  My mother was so upset that she attended a union meeting with me to help me get my job back.  I did.  The union got the standard relaxed to three dollars for cashier till closeouts.  I never had another problem with closeouts again. 


As an un-necessary post-script to this story, that supervisor committed suicide about 4 years after I worked for him.  Wow.  I was actually stunned when I heard the news.  I thought he would have been happy.  He drove a nice Corvette and had a nice house.  Material things aren’t everything.  Sometimes it is the things we can’t see that are much more important.


Respectfully,


John Hescott


References:





No comments:

Post a Comment